Did you know?......
- Fragile X is the number one cause of inherited mental impairment.
- Fragile X is the most common known cause of autism or autistic like behaviors. The Fragile X gene is the cause for autism in 2%-6% of all children diagnosed.
- There is no cure for FXS, those that are affected can take medication to help with the side effects but will live with it for their entire life.
- Fragile X is caused by just one gene. This gene, FMR1, shuts down and fails to produce a vital protein.
- Fragile X affects 1 in 4000 males and 1 in 6000 females of all races and ethnic groups (source CDC). About 1 in 259 women carry fragile X and could pass it to their children. About 1 in 800 men carry fragile X; their daughters will also be carriers.
If I receive at least 25 comments by July 22 (the comments must be 25 different people), I will be randomly drawing from the comments listed for you and the person you shared the link with to each receive two dozen homemade cookies or brownies delivered directly to your door.** That means for each friend you share the link with, you have a better chance to win some yummies! For those out of state, fear not - for I will pack up the yummies and send them to you by mail. Unfortunately, you do have to live in the continental US to win. though.
Please also take a couple seconds to "attend" the National Fragile X Awareness Day event on Facebook. The event is located HERE
**I will also be willing to do a cake or a dozen cupcakes in places of the cookies/brownies should the winner choose, but for those that would need the goodies mailed, they would have to remain unfrosted**