Monday, July 22, 2013

Fragile X Awareness Day 2013

Leave a Comment
I've been living with Fragile X my entire life, but only been aware of it for about half of that time.  Even with 16 years of knowledge, I've only been intimately aware of exactly what Fragile X is since March 6, 2011.

Some studies indicate a prevalence of as low as 1 in 150 women are carriers of Fragile X.  It can go undetected for so long, until the day arrives that your young child finally receives an answer for their developmental delays.  Then you wonder how.  And you trace it through your family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, second cousins... the blow is devastating. The guilt, the grief, the depression, wondering about your child's future...  You deal with newness of this diagnosis you've never heard of and at the same time are burdened with telling your family that they may be affected as well.  Maybe it is a pregnant sister, maybe a father who is struggling with Parkinson's type symptoms, a nephew with autism, a cousin with fertility issues, or a brother about to wed.   These things leave scars, the ones that don't heal or get better but just scab over only to have the wound reopened again when you least expect it.

We raise awareness for all of you today - the undected, yet unknown carriers.   My father, my sisters, my grandmother, my uncles, cousins, my cousin's children - those who are already living with this diagnosis.  For you, for your loved ones, and certainly for my babies.




We'd be honored if you would take the time to share this post with your family and friends today.  Please help us educate just one more person about Fragile X Syndrome this awareness day.



0 comments:

Post a Comment