Monday, October 3, 2011

The Big Reveal and A Big Win

Leave a Comment
This weekend was a busy one for us.  Being this is our last baby, we decided instead of calling everyone to tell them about baby's gender that we would have a party to celebrate and share with our entire family at the same time.  It's a new "trend" in pregnancy right now, to have these parties called Gender Reveal parties. 

Normally, a gender reveal party works like this:  Mom and Dad get the ultrasound done, and the technician writes the gender on a slip of paper then gives the parents-to-be an envelope containing the gender.  Said envelope is delivered to a baker who then makes a delicious beautiful cake with the inside tinted either pink or blue.  (You know, blue for boy, pink for girl).  Family and/or friends are invited and mommy and daddy cut the cake to reveal the gender to themselves and everyone else at the same time.  While I have no issues with this, it wasn't the right way for us to go.  I knew myself, and while I would be happy for a little boy I knew finding out in front of everyone would not be a good idea for me.

So...we revamped the method a little!  I got some boy and girl balloon:


Then stuffed the balloons with little papers. The papers were carefully folded, so no peeking would occur through the balloons....and revealed the gender and name of baby on the inside.  The idea is, that everyone picked their "team" color balloon (team pink or team blue) then they would all pop them together and find out.  Let me just say, this turned out fantastic and so. much. fun.  My shortsightedness in remembering to find objects to pop the balloons with also worked in our favor because everyone could be creative about how they popped their balloon - of course they all wanted to be first!

So....we gave the okay to pop the balloons....



The whole thing really was a huge success.  We had such a great time just eating and spending time with family, plus being able to share this with everyone together was something I would recommend to every mommy-to-be.  It was even better for me then sharing we were welcoming the first baby grandson to both sides of the family. 

While the entire day was utterly fantastic, I would have to say one of the best parts for me happened when I laid down to go to bed that evening.  Because while I was entertaining and making sure everyone was eating - Ayden was playing with his aunts, uncles, and grandparents.  So much so, that it wasn't until I thought back on the day that I realized not once did I hear him scream, cry, or whine.  Not one time did I have to attend to him breaking down and get him out of the hustle and bustle of having 15 extra people in our house.  He didn't even freak out when everyone popped their balloons - something which normally would send him into hysterics.  Look at the pictures above during the balloon popping and you can see him just hanging out in the middle of the crowd.  I'm just so proud of him for how well he did he entire day.  And I look forward to more days like this, because for once I didn't worry about how to help him enjoy the day - he did it without any help.   It's these type of days and moments that make all that work worthwhile.  It reminds me that there is hope when we have bad days and helps me to keep going.  It is worth it.  There is hope.

And as for Ayden...he's going to be a big brother again........
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Only this time, it will be to a little sister! (You didn't think I'd forget to share this part did you?!)

If you are interested in seeing the rest of the pictures from our big party...you can view them here: BBQ and Gender Reveal Album

0 comments:

Post a Comment