Tuesday, April 12, 2011

When the Heart Aches

Leave a Comment
Going to do a little off-topic post today in the fact that it doesn't directly relate to Ayden or FXS - though it is about his aunt, uncle, and cousins.

April 1, 2009
It was one of those days that I will remember very clearly for a long time. I was 9 months pregnant with Issac at the time, exactly 18 days from my due date.  While doing laundry, I lost my balance and took a pretty bad tumble down the stairs.  I ended up in the hospital with very irregular contractions and in a lot of pain.  The doctors suspected I hadn't fallen, and while they didn't say it out loud  we are fairly certain they thought Mr Awesome had pushed me or something.  Thankfully, they stopped the contractions and gave me medicine for pain as well as something to help me sleep.  We got home that night and I went directly to bed while a poker game (that was already planned) took place in my basement.   In attendance at the poker game that evening was my brother in law.  It was this same night that he informed us he was being deployed to Iraq in two weeks time.  You know how they say bad things happen in threes?  The same day all of this happened, my sister was 90 miles away receiving her families' own terrible news - her second daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes just one month after her third birthday.

April 10, 2011
Exactly two years and ten days after my niece was diagnosed with type 1, her little sister was diagnosed as well at just 3.5 years old. 

There are not words to express the ache I have in my heart right now, but I know that it is nothing compared to what my sister and brother in law are feeling.  I've watched my sister struggle over the past few years.  I've seen her down and out and completely overwhelmed.  While I haven't been there to hug her and tell her things will get better, I'm thankful I know she has so many people that are there when I can't be (or when she just needs someone who isn't family).  I've seen her husband being strong for her and supporting her.  Mostly, I've seen her giving everything to daughter, often times leaving herself behind.  She was starting to achieve balance though.  Balance between friend, family, herself, and of course - diabetes. While we haven't been close the past few months, I have always paid attention.  Her Facebook statuses began to be more positive; her blog began to show more hope.  She is reaching out to befriend others who went through that terrible diagnosis, and throwing herself into raising money for a cure.  I can't even speculate what the future holds for her, but I know she will make it through.  I also know there are three little girls out there that couldn't have been given better, stronger, more capable parents. 

So, the end result of this is that I ask you to pray with me for their family.  Pray they would find peace and comfort in their hearts and know they have so many out there supporting them.  Pray that my newly diagnosed niece will start falling into the routine that will soon be 'normal' for her, and likely all she will ever know, that her older sister will help her in a way that only she can.  Pray that their oldest sister will not feel left out or overwhelmed with two type-1 sisters.  Most of all, pray for my sister and brother in law to stay confident - to know they couldn't have prevented this and that they are doing everything they can for BOTH of their girls.

I'll leave you with a few links:

2011 JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes.  Sign up or donate here  Search for "Audrey's Brand New Day" to donate to my sister's team.

My sister's diabetes blog

0 comments:

Post a Comment